Friday, May 22, 2009

Upon realizing my language requirements have been completed since high school.

Apparently passing French 3 despite only having taken 2 years of French in high school, i.e. starting with French 2 and then taking French 3 afterward, counts as taking 3 years of a language at the high school level. My advisors throughout my secondary-education career kept asking if I had taken 3 years of language in high school and I honestly replied "No, I haven't." and thus they cast me down the dreaded path of learning an entirely new language, Spanish.

Two years later, two years in which I struggled to pass two semesters of Spanish, dropping the first level and taking it again, then doing the same exact thing with the second level, I graduated from community college. The other day I sat down at UConn and went to sign up for classes at my orientation. "Have you completed your 3 years of high school language?" "No, but I did take my first year of Spanish at my former institution." "Oh, well you should sign up for the next Spanish class you need now and base your schedule around it." So I took the advice of the graduate student who was my temporary advisor and signed up for Intermediate Spanish and filled my schedule in around it.

Last night I got home from orientation with a horrible headache and passed out on my bed for a good 5 hours. Upon waking I went to see what in my UConn online account had been unlocked, here is roughly what went through my head as I perused (I did in fact peruse as in look through it extensivly, not glance over it as many people tend to use the word to mean nowadays) the website:

Hm, what couldn't I get into before? 'My Academic Requirements', oh wow, this looks useful. Oh, look, it tells me everything I still need to take and what I've already completed. Hm, yeah, we went over this in orientation... Right, right, still need to take those, got that done, good, good. Oh. Second language contempency, I might as well click on this bar and look to see what it says. Satisfied. Wait, what? Let's click on this sub-tab. 'student equiv 3 year hs French'.

For a moment I was confused, but then something clicked in my mind, it suddenly made perfect sense. Then, out loud, at 1 in the morning as I was overcome with a horrible feeling due to all my struggle with a foreign language for naught, all the pointless stress, all the wasted time:

"You're fucking kidding me."

2 comments:

  1. As if the begging to round out of failing wasn't bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like salt in my wounds my friend, salt in my wounds.

    ReplyDelete